Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus
There is a condition with toenail in which a specific type of fungi called dermatophytes start growing under the nail. Toenail fungus is a disease which scientifically named as onychomycosis. Gradually the fungus increase in size and spread its infection all over the toenail.
Due to this fungal infection, toenail loses its natural appearance and become crusty, discolored, thick and distorted. The worse state is when the infection gets spread and the toenail separate from the nail bed. In this way you feel pain and discomfort even while moving your feet. It also causes a bad odor.
Generally, toenail fungus spread nail to nail through the skin. It is a chronic disease that appears again and again. Infection can also transfer when nail files and clippers are used on the infected toenail and then other nails.
Now what would be the reason behind toenail fungus? Fungus might be grown due to the lack of personal care and hygiene, wearing socks and shoes for the long periods, infected person when share his footwear with you, walking barefoot in public or pool area, after taking bath, not drying the feet properly and because of the weak immune system.
This is like a drastic problem but do not worry, it can be treated easily at home applying home remedies to control the fungal infection at some extent and to prevent the further damage. These remedies are as follows:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the best for skin purpose and it contains antimicrobial properties. These properties will help killing the fungus which is the reason of spreading infection.
- Take equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and lukewarm water. Soak the toenail in this solution for about half an hour. After half an hour, pat dry toenail or you can use hair dryer as to remove the moisture around the toenail. Do this remedy daily for few weeks.
- Another thing you can do is make an exfoliating scrub using one tbsp. of coarsely ground rice flour and two tsp of apple cider vinegar. Mix both of these ingredients to make a thick paste then apply on the infected toenail with gradual rubbing for five minutes. Rinse your feet with cold water and pat dry using a soft towel. Follow the remedy every other day for two months.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is alkaline in nature so you can prepare a good home remedy from baking soda. It usually does not help to kill the fungus but stop them from growing more. It balances the pH level of the skin.
- In a bowl, mix two parts of baking soda and one part of warm water then make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the infected toenail using a piece of cotton. Leave it for 20 minutes then rinse it off. Do the remedy twice a day for a month.
- Alternatively, in a bowl, add four tbsp. of baking soda, one cup of white vinegar and three cups of lukewarm water. Now place your feet in this solution for 15 minutes then pat dry with paper towels. Do this remedy two times a day for a month.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil also works greatly for toenail fungus due to the presence of antiseptic properties in it which helps to kill the toenail fungus.
- First of all, clean the infected toenail with the help of rubbing alcohol then apply few drops of tea tree oil in it. Do this remedy once a day for a month.
- Another way you can use is add few drops of tea tree oil in a small tub filled with lukewarm water then soak your feet in this mixture for 15 minutes. After that pat dry and do thus twice daily for a month.
- In tea tree oil, add powdered vitamin E capsule then rub the infected toenail with this mixture and leave it for half an hour. Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry. Follow the remedy twice a day for at least a month.
4. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil also contains antiseptic and antifungal properties which help fight against infected toenail.
- Mix five drops of oregano oil in two tsp of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Take a piece of cotton ball and apply this solution on the infected toenail.
- Leave the solution for 10 minutes on toenail.
- Now with the help of toothbrush, rub gently then rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Do this remedy for once daily for about three weeks.
Garlic has a compound known as ajoene which is antifungal in nature and very best treatment for the toenail fungus.
- Take seven to eight garlic cloves and crush them finely then add this garlic powder in the tub filled with lukewarm water. Soak the infected toenail in the solution for at least half an hour. Pat dry then apply petroleum jelly on it. Follow this remedy once daily.
- Optionally, add three freshly crushed garlic cloves in the olive oil and mix them thoroughly. Apply this mixture on the infected toenail then rub it gently with the help of a cotton ball. Wrap the toenail with a guaze bandage to keep the mixture on the place. Rinse it with lukewarm water after sat a aside for an hour. Do this for several weeks daily.
- Try to eat one or two garlic cloves daily.
Listerine also contains antifungal and antiseptic properties that help to fight against the toenail fungus. Listerine has an important ingredient called thymol that kills the fungus fast.
- In a bowl, add equal amounts of Listerine and apple cider vinegar.
- Soak a thick pad of cotton in the solution and place it over the infected toenail.
- Wrap it using a small bandage and leave it for 45 minutes.
- Scrub it gently using a soft toothbrush.
- Follow this remedy once daily for a month.
Turmeric is a common ingredient generally available at home. It also contains antiseptic properties due to which it is highly suggestible to treat the toenail fungus. It also helps to prevent the infection from repetitive.
- Take a small piece of turmeric root and dry it completely.
- Grind this in a form of powder.
- Now add one tbsp. of turmeric powder in a little amount of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the infected toenail.
- Leave it for three hours then rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry completely.
- Follow the remedy twice daily.
8. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac is generally recognized as a neem and it can be used to treat the different types of fungal infections so to the toenail fungus. Indian lilac has antifungal and antiseptic properties that stop the fungus to grow further.
- Take a handful of neem leaves and grind them finely. Now mix them with a little quantity of water to make a paste. Now also add one tsp of turmeric powder in this paste. Apply the paste on the infected toenail then leave it for one hour. Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry. Follow this remedy two times daily.
- Alternatively, you can also use neem oil. Take a cotton ball and soak into the neem oil then apply it on the affected toenail. Do this remedy two times a day for at least a month to see a better results.
Onion contains antifungal properties that can kill the fungus excellently.
- Take an onion and cut it into thick slices then rub it on the affected toenail for about five minutes. Leave the extract on the toenail for 20 minutes. Wash the area with lukewarm water and dry it. Do this remedy for two times daily.
- Another option is to crush the onion pieces to squeeze the juice from it. Apply this juice on the infected toenail using a cotton ball then wrap it with a bandage. Leave it for one hour then wash it off with lukewarm water then pat dry. Use this treatment two times daily for two months.
10. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids which work as natural fungicides to kill the fungus.
- Take a little amount of extra-virgin coconut oil in your palm then rub it gently on the infected toenail. Keep this for some minutes so the oil gets absorb in the skin naturally. Repeat the procedure for three times daily.
- In a bowl, add five parts of coconut oil and one part of oregano oil. Massage the little quantity of this solution into the infected toenail and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water then pat dry. Follow the remedy twice a day for four weeks.