Expert Advice About Losing Weight With Apple Cider Vinegar
"I do not think that ACV can lead to weight loss without making important changes to your eating habits and lifestyle," says Claire Martin, a registered dietician in Oakland, California. "Expecting that only drinking ACV would lead to weight loss without making diet or lifestyle changes is expecting magic from an otherwise useful tool.
However, if you make the appropriate life and food changes, ACV is an effective supplementary food that aids digestion and metabolism."
How to Lose Weight With ACV
- Dilute 2 teaspoons with 8 ounces of water.
- Use a straw to sip in order to protect your teeth, mouth, and throat.
- Rinse your mouth afterward, or brush your teeth with baking soda.
- Drink twice a day, before breakfast and after dinner.
- If you have trouble digesting acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus fruit, avoid ACV as it will likely upset your stomach.
What Are the Cons of Using Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss?
- In large amounts, apple cider vinegar can decrease the body's potassium levels, particularly when combined with certain medications. Very low potassium levels can weaken the bones.
- If you take the heart medication digoxin, decreased potassium levels can increase the medication's side effects, including dizziness, confusion, and nausea.
- Drinking large amounts of apple cider vinegar while taking insulin can decrease potassium levels in the body. Avoid taking ACV if you take insulin.
- Diuretic medication, or "water pills," can decrease potassium levels on their own. Avoid using ACV if you take this medication.
- Apple cider vinegar might lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Be sure to monitor your blood sugar levels closely if you are diabetic and use ACV. You may also need to adjust your dose of diabetes medication.
- Studies into how ACV effects people with diabetes show that the vinegar delays gastric emptying—a benefit for most people, but this can lead to gastroparesis in people with diabetes.
- Use caution when taking ACV in tablet form. If the highly acidic tablet gets stuck in your throat you may have pain and difficulty swallowing long after the tablet has been removed.
- ACV can damage your teeth enamel and esophagus. Always use a straw when drinking apple cider vinegar, even if it's diluted.
Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is an age-old ingredient for healthy living. Drinking it can bring a number of health benefits:
- Apple cider vinegar is loaded with 17 amino acids, vitamins like potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus and minerals like B1, B6, and B12," says dietician Claire Martin.
- Research shows that ACV is a useful aid in losing weight. In 2009, The Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry journal published a study finding that drinking it for just three months caused significant declines in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference, and triglycerides.
- It can also improve heart health. The vinegar contains malic acid which clears clogged arteries, lymph nodes, and organ tissues.
- When applied to the skin, it can help eliminate acne, warts, and many other skin blemishes and discolorations. A lot of people add a touch of ACV to their bathwater in order to improve the health of their skin.
- "You could also use ACV as a hair conditioner or a facial toner because it is acidic and can help normalize your pH after using alkaline cleansers or shampoos," says Martin. "But I would be careful to patch test because CV's acetic acid content can be harsh for certain skin or hair types."
- However, despite all the potential benefits of apple cider vinegar, it’s not a quick fix. If you’re looking to lose weight fast, then ACV is not right for you. Think of it as a marathon, rather than a sprint.
Read the guidelines below to learn how about taking ACV for weight loss.
How to Use ACV to Cleanse or Detox
Our bodies can cleanse and "detox" themselves when we eat a balanced diet with lots of fiber and raw vegetables. But we can give our metabolisms a boost by following these simple steps:
- Drink water! In addition to the water you mix with apple cider vinegar, drink another two liters every day. Staying hydrated is key to helping your body eliminate toxins.
- Cut sugar and alcohol from your diet. Avoid empty calories, like refined flour foods. You'll notice a real boost in energy!
- Boost the protein and fiber. This can mean lean meats, raw vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains. These foods will keep you feeling full.
- Keep salt to a minimum. Avoid foods with added sodium to get rid of excess water and reduce that bloated feeling.
- Drink apple cider vinegar twice a day! Mix two teaspoons with a glass of water and drink with a straw to protect your teeth.
Always use a straw when drinking apple cider vinegar, even if it's diluted. This will protect your teeth from the acid.
Apple Cider Vinegar Drink Recipe
- 1 cup (8 oz.) water
- 2 tsp. apple juice, organic preferably
- 2-3 tsp. apple cider vinegar, organic preferably
- 1 tsp. honey, raw
- Blend ingredients together.
- Add more water or honey to taste.
Tips to Prepare Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
- Mix 2-3 tsp vinegar with a minimum of 8 ounces (225 grams, or one cup) of water. You can add more water if the taste is still too strong for you. You can also add honey, which really helps improve the flavor.
- The ideal quantity of ACV will vary from person to person. Typically I use 1 tablespoon (15ml) per 8oz water but I have known people who mix 4 to 5 teaspoons (20ml to 25ml) per cup of water.
How to Drink Apple Cider Vinegar
- I recommend drinking it with a straw. Highly acidic foods can damage the enamel on your teeth and, even diluted, ACV can cause some serious damage.
- I drink it in the morning on an empty stomach and at night before dinner. Others have found routines that work better for them.
Protect Your Tooth Enamel With Baking Soda
It’s not a bad idea to brush your teeth immediately before and after you drink ACV. Alternatively, rinse your mouth with a mixture of water and baking soda, which will counteract the acidity in your mouth and protect your teeth.
Do you like this apple cider drink?
1. Which Brand of ACV Is Best?
There is no right or wrong answer to this question. It should be made from cider or apple juice and should have a pale to medium amber color. Pretty much any brand will do: Bragg and Heinz are two of the better-known ones, but there’s nothing wrong with a store brand or a generic version.
2. Organic or Non-Organic?
I strongly recommend that you buy the organic version. Organic apple cider vinegar is made with organically grown apples. This is the best choice as you won't be exposed to harmful pesticides or herbicides.
Questions & Answers
Question: How long does it usually take to lose weight with ACV?
Answer: It will depend on many factors - your current diet, body composition, BMI, and activity level. ACV on its own will not cause weight loss. It needs to be accompanied by a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Question: How long after taking ACV would it be ok to drink milk?
Answer: I would suggest that you should maintain at least an hour's gap before you drink anything after drinking ACV.
Question: Is it normal to fart when taking ACV? I notice that I fart a lot after taking it.
Answer: Ideally ACV should not cause flatulence. To the contrary, ACV improves digestion.
Question: Does apple cider vinegar change the color or consistency of your stool?
Answer: Ideally, ACV should not change the color of the stool per se. ACV improves digestion, because of which you may see a change in the color and consistency of the stool.