Dog lovers, perk up your ears. The American Kennel Club just revealed the top breeds for 2020, and lots of favorite companions are back on top. Labs have reigned supreme as the number one pick for more than quarter of a century now, but there are a few surprises among the ranks. Chances are you know someone who's gotten a French Bulldog in the past few years — and it's easy to see why. Those cute pups have ridden their wave of popularity all the way to the fourth place.
Check out the 10 most popular breeds below, and head over to the AKC website to see more about the list.
These friendly and active pups have held the top spot the past 28 years in a row. "This is a do-everything breed that needs to be with its humans," long-timer breeder Erin Henlon-Hall told the AKC. "It personifies the definition of versatility — hunting, showing, family, dock diving, tracking, obedience. It’s as American as baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie."
These trusted companions often work as police dogs and service dogs because they're fiercely loyal to their main caretakers.
This intelligent, friendly breed is basically the movie star of the group with starring roles on Full House, Air Bud, and Homeward Bound.
Frenchies have big personalities but require minimal exercise. It's no wonder the big-eared pooches are also the top choice in New York, San Francisco, and Miami, the AKC announced.
A presidential pick, both Calvin Coolidge and Warren Harding owned these dignified, courageous canines.
Curious and merry, beagles will follow their noses anywhere (and often into trouble).
They come in standard, miniature, and toy size varieties, but all poodles are considered one (extremely intelligent) breed. As for that fancy haircut, the "poodle clip" is designed to protect the joints and organs in cold water — even though most work as family dogs now.
German Shorthaired Pointers
"GSPs" are known as great hunting and field dogs because of their intelligence and strong sense of smell.
Fun fact: Yorkies became a fashionable pet in the late Victorian era, but they actually started off as vermin catchers in clothing mills.
- General History Of Dogs
- Top 20 Smartest Dog Breeds
- The 45 Best Large Dog Breeds for People Who Want Impressive Pets 1
- The 45 Best Large Dog Breeds for People Who Want Impressive Pets 2
- The 45 Best Large Dog Breeds for People Who Want Impressive Pets 3
- The Collie Dog
- The Foxhound Dog
- The 15 Best Guard Dogs to Protect Your Family and Home
- The Most Intelligent Poodle
- Newfouland The Aristocrat Among Dogs
- 18 Adorable Mixed-Breed Dogs You'll Fall in Love With
- Big dog breeds
- The Importance Of A Dog's Diet
- How Your Dog's Diet Affects Outputs
- A Dog's Diet Influences Oral Health
- Dog Food: Thoughts For Consideration
- Guidelines To Choose A Healthy Dog Diet For Your Pet
- Tips To Consider When Determining Your Puppy Dog's Diet
- Dog Food: Nutritional Information
- Where to Find Nutritious Dog Diet